Saturday, December 15, 2012

We're all mad here... Kinda.


I love hats. I really do.

 
I've got lots of them. Mostly ones I've made, because I am fascinated with millinery as well. My hubby always gives me strange looks when I try them on in stores because he knows I don't wear the ones I've got. But that doesn't stop me!

 
Unfortunately, I have a big head. Most hats are made to fit a 20-21 inch head, mine is 22 inches. (no comments from the gallery please...) So it's hard to find cute hats that would actually fit. And, to tell the truth,  I always feel kinda uncomfortable when I wear them. I guess this is a by-product of my childhood. I was bullied until I left school. So if I wore anything nice my classmates would either ruin it, steal it, or beat me up. What can I say? Kids are mean.

 
Anyhow, I also love Alice in Wonderland. I've lustily admired the Mad Hatter's hats for years. So when I came across this pattern I thought why the hell not?

 
I'll never wear it, probably. But who knows?  I might grow brave someday.....

Wonder if I need a feather?
Trim patern from Around the Border Crochet Borders. I like the way it came out.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10592.html




 The review: Super, super easy! I added three rounds to the top to make sure it'd fit my fat old head. I used Red Heart Super Saver in Pink Tones. I used two strands to make up for the thickness as the pattern calls for a chunky yarn. In hindsight using the chunky would have probably gven the hat a better shape. Of course, I don't have an iron or anything here to block mine with, either. Anyway, I kind of like how it looks like somebody sat on it, several times. The total cost was about 7.00. I used a trim pattern for the hat band in Annie’s Attic Teal, which I already had. I may make another one with the recomended yarn, just to see the difference, later.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment