Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Holidays!!!

I wasn't raised celebrating holidays so I have a bit of a disconnect when it comes  to them, but I still do my best to get in the spirit of things. The sheer quanity of choice durning this time of year is daunting. I mean, let's face it, most of the other holidays have a clear theme. Valentines day, heart candy. YAY! Easter, or Ostara, chocy rabbits and candy. YAY! Haloween/ Samhain/Día de los Muertossugar skulls and candy. YAY! But this time of year there are sweets of many varieties, a dizzying and confusing aray of confectionary. It's enough to send one into a daze. Or is that a sugar coma?

Anyway, in all seriousness, Happy Whatever Flavor of the Season You Choose!!!!!

I found this pattern while surfing on the internet and thought it had an interesting and unique look.  I have all this leftover yarn I’m trying to use up. And, as any crafter knows, the leftovers can be a challenge.

I used Caron one pound in scarlet. This is not my favorite color, it seems too old ladyish for my tastes. But, I bought the skein for a ridiculous $2.00 at a yard sale. I know, I know, It’s not a bargain if you think it’s ugly.  But, come on! Two dollars!! I also used Annie’s attic in vanilla and teal. (Yes, again. leftovers, people!) Given the season I think I shall just simply pretend it’s a great, giant poinsettia.

The pattern called for Jiffy Quick & Easy Mohair Look and  Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn. These are bulky (5) yarns. But I thought it worked up just fine in worsted weight (4) , although  I did have to add extra rows to get it to the size I wanted it.

If you’re going to use the author’s recommendations the cost will be about $16.00 with lots of yardage leftover.

 

 The Poinsetta!
 

Now on to the review:


While the pattern is mostly easy to work, I found the instructions for the leaves not particularly easy to follow. They are confusing and, for me, impossible to follow.
I ended up reversing them. Instead of stitching TURN ch-3, sl st in 2nd dc on right side of valley, dc in next 3 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc, sl st in 2nd dc up.

I stitched Sl st in nxt two dc @ end of previous row. Ch 3 then dc in next 3 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc, sl st in 2nd dc up.

I did this on each row and it turned out exactly as pictured. Sometimes the way a pattern is written just doesn’t work for the person trying to make it and you have to adjust it to fit your crochet style.

I’d say it’s a good pattern for an advanced beginner if they don’t mind then endless reps. You do have to count your stitches to make sure your flower petals keep their symmetry.  A nice plus is that it’s a pattern you can easily take on the road with you. It doesn’t require much in the way of yarn and a large Ziploc would hold what is needed. Personally, I didn’t care for this. While it was easy and is super cute, it’s also tedious and repetitive. That and the confusing instructions bring my rating for this project to 3 skeins.

No comments:

Post a Comment