Saturday, December 29, 2012

The strange obsession with round blankets continues....

It's a pickle, alright.

I can't explain why I like the round blanket. I mean they're not really practical. They always manage to leave some part exposed to an unwanted chill. They’re unwieldy to work on once they get to a certain size as well. But I just can't stop making them. (Again, I refer to my stash in Nevada.) I also have an obsession with the spiral, probably because I'm pagan. Though, I might just like making myself dizzy.

Anyhoo. I found this pattern online and of course decided I'd make it. At Yule Vigil A friend of mine asked me if I was making a doily. I felt kinda bad as I had to tell him no. He looked a little disappointed. One of these days I really am going to make a doily. Probably. Now that I'm done with it, I think it makes a better rug than a blanket. Of course it would look better if I could block it. But I don't have an iron here.

 
 It kind of looks like a strange aquatic creature nesting on my kitchen floor. Maybe if I added some teeth to the medallion in the middle, give it that Krakonesque feel, and just leave it there. Honestly, as I'm by myself I don't mind the company, but I can't manage to stay on my feet when there aren't any obstructions in the way. I can see myself trying to hobble to the loo and ending up taking a ride to the front door on my little acrylic friend. While no doubt entertaining, I'd rather not push my luck...

For this project, I used 2 skeins of Annie's Attic in gray. The trim is Red Heart in pink tones left over from another project. (Oh, those leftovers!). This project cost me about $9.00 all told.
http://www.crochetgeek.com/2010/08/crochet-swirl-afghan.html#!/2010/08/crochet-swirl-afghan.html

Have to say I enjoyed this pattern. It was easy and quick. And though repetitive, I didn't find it too tedious. As always in a round blanket project there's a point when it just doesn't seem to be getting any larger, no matter how fast you crochet. I despise this, but find it spurs me on to new heights of speed. Which, as anyone who's ever seen me crochet, means just a hair faster than the speed of a horny sloth. I shall be making the swirl afghan pattern again. I really do like it, in fact I'm keeping my little friend. I shall love him and squeeze him and name him Jorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment