Friday, January 11, 2013

The TARDIS Bag!


I like Dr Who. I always have, in fact, Tom Baker was one of my little girl crushes. It was one of the few shows Mother let us watch, given that it was science fiction, which in her mind equated to not demonic, and on PBS which made it educational somehow.

Anyway, I was delighted when they resumed the show. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with all the seasons. I shall, at some point actually sit and watch them, but right now, I don't have BBC America and I can't steal them off the internet, as this would be morally incorrect.... O_O

I've been wanting to do something Whoish for a while, the problem is that there's lots to choose from and nothing really rang my bell. Plus, I'm not really the sort of girl that's comfortable with cosplay, even in its mildest form. I do have friends that are rabid fans, however, and this gives me the perfect opportunity to make stuff I would never actually use, but think are super cool. So, after months of looking, I found the pattern for this bag. People, the heavens opened up and a chorus of weeping angels descended singing the glory on high!

My friends, I give you The TARDIS Bag.
IMG_20130111_200026.jpgIMG_20130111_200125.jpg



A TARDIS, for the three people on the planet who don't know, is the machine that Dr. Who uses to travel through time. Well, she's much more than that, but I won't give away all the deets. Apparently she got stuck in the shape of a mid century British police box and has remained this way till this day. It's rather iconic In my opinion.

http://www.crochetdynamite.com/2012/09/the-tardis-bag-love-story-in-3-parts.html

I LOVE this bag. I am making myself a non TARDIS one as soon as possible. It's super easy and big enough to be a really nice tote. I love the strap length and I love, love the button. My fez is totally off to the designer!

I used four skeins of Redheart super-saver. Two in the blue, one each of white and black. I wouldn't use a softer spun acrylic like Caron's Simply Soft because you want the hand to be a bit stiff. It might work up nice in cotton as well. I used a little over 1 Skein of the blue so you'll have lots of leftovers. I also lined the bag for a little more support. I hand stitched the lining in and then went over it again with the machine to minimize stretching. I'm leaving out the total cost as I made this for a gift.


I didn't take any pictures of the construction because the tutorial is so well written. It's an intermediate pattern, mostly because of the strap. Those little words gave me a run for my money. The single crochet would be fine, I think if I'd used two strands of white yarn instead of the one. I had to go over them again with a wipstitch as well as outline them with a slipstitch to get them to stand out properly.

I hope the person I made this for enjoys it. I know I enjoyed making it despite the unfortunate misspelling incident. I might per persuaded to make another for some other Whovian. If I really like them, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment