Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Weaving Fail


Sometimes learning new things is frustrating. It's true of almost everything, but I've found this especially true with textiles. I bought a book called The Woven Bag by Noreen Crone-Findlay. I love this book. It's got lots of projects that a body actually wants to do, (or at least this body). So,  I started my second weaving project full of hope and enthusiasm. And as I wove I had grand ideas of my project turning out like this:

 

 

What I got is this:

 

Obviously, something went terribly wrong. I don't know what. And that's the frustrating part. Weaving isn't like crochet or knitting or even sewing. It is nearly impossible to Frog or rip the piece apart. So here we are, stuck with another square bag. On the bright side, I really like the texture of the fabric. The  loom used is chained off with a crochet slip stitch and that leaves the project with a nice decorative seam. I will be trying this bag again. And I am so hoping I am not doomed to repeat the square bag again.


No comments:

Post a Comment